Top Afghan General Abdul Raziq killed in Kandahar attack

Abdul Raziq was one of the most powerful figures in the Afghan security aparatus [Muhammad Sadiq/EPA]

The top leadership of Afghanistan’s Kandahar has been assassinated in a brazen gun attack claimed by the Taliban, leaving a power vacuum in the crucial province ahead of Saturday’s elections.

General Abdul Raziq, one of Afghanistan’s most powerful security officials, was killed, along with Governor Zalmai Wesa and a local NDS intelligence commander, when a bodyguard opened fire after a meeting in the governor’s compound in the southern province, officials said.

General Scott Miller, the top US commander in Afghanistan who had been at the meeting with Raziq only moments earlier, was uninjured in the attack.

In their claim of responsibility, the Taliban said they had targeted both Miller and Raziq, who had a fearsome reputation as a ruthless opponent of the armed group.

The killing of Raziq is a major blow to the Afghan government ahead of parliamentary elections on October 20, which the Taliban have vowed to disrupt.

Al Jazeera’s Hashem Ahelbarra, reporting from Kabul, said two US official were also wounded in the attack.

“There was a meeting between the US top commander in Afghanistan Scot Miller and top government representatives in Kandahar. After that meeting, there was gunfire inside the governor’s compound.

“In that gunfire, the intelligence chief, top police commander and the governor were killed. Two Americans were injured,” Ahelbarra reported.

Taliban claim

The Taliban have managed to infiltrate the most secure government meetings on multiple occasions this year, striking at the heart of its command. However, this was the first time that three top officials were killed in an attack.

“The brutal police chief of Kandahar has been killed along several other officials,” a Taliban statement said.

Raziq was criticised by human rights groups but highly respected by US officers who saw him as one of Afghanistan’s most effective leaders, largely responsible for keeping Kandahar province under control

A flamboyant commander, he had survived several attempts on his life over many years and narrowly escaped an attack last year in which five diplomats from the United Arab Emirates were killed in Kandahar.

NATO spokesperson Colonel Knut Peters said Miller, who took command of US and forces and the NATO-led Resolute Support mission in Afghanistan last month, was uninjured but he confirmed that two Americans were wounded in the crossfire.

SOURCE: AL JAZEERA AND NEWS AGENCIES

2 Comments

Join the discussion and tell us your opinion.

  1. NoemiJuicy

    Hello. I see that you don’t update your website too often. I know
    that writing posts is time consuming and boring.
    But did you know that there is a tool that allows you to create new posts using existing
    content (from article directories or other pages from your
    niche)? And it does it very well. The new articles are unique and pass the copyscape test.

    Search in google and try: miftolo’s tools

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*
*